Sunday, February 17, 2013

Words of Encouragement

Last August when we left Andrea at the airport in Atlanta to embark on this new journey, I cried all the way home (45 minutes), cried even more when we got home and couldn’t talk to anybody for about 4 hours. Poor Randy – he was so sweet and was the best“personal assistant” – answering the phone and the text messages. All of our friends and family were more concerned about me than Andrea (I think). I knew in my heart she would be fine. I knew how excited and how happy she was for this next journey in her life and that was comforting. I knew she would be just a phone call away and I knew we could do Face Time and Skype once she got settled in her new place. BUT I knew how much I would miss having her at home with us – all the fun times we had.

I also knew how hard it would be when it was time for us to leave her when it was time to come home after being with her for two weeks. She had been so brave leaving us in August and was so excited that she didn’t cry when she left us. BUT I knew it would be different for her when it was time for us to leave her. I wanted to leave a little something for her when we left so on those days when she was missing us, she could have a little piece of us there in the UAE.

I created these cards of “Words of Encouragement” - inspirational sayings, scripture, and encouraging words from me. I made 104 cards (2 cards a week) and put each one in a small white envelopes. I wanted her to be able to open two a week (or more if she needed it).

(I used Microsoft Publisher for the small cards; Microsoft Word for the larger card that I put on the outside of the box. Pictures at the bottom)


 Here is a sample of some of the sayings:

  1. And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to His purpose. ~Romans 8:28
  2. Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  3. God loves broken things - His love and mercy are constant, powerful. He loves you! I love you!
  4. I believe in you – I’m your BIGGEST Fan.
  5. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
  6. I love that you are so passionate about teaching and making a difference in children’s lives.
  7. I love that you're spunky, and you're such a good sport. You're just so much fun!
  8. The reason why people give up is because they focus on how far they have to go instead of how far they have come.
  9. Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.
  10. When I count my blessings, I count you twice.

One of the days we were shopping, I found this pretty wooden box and bought it (I wish I had taken a picture of the box.) I bought it under the pretense that it was for me. The cards fit perfectly in the box. The day we were leaving, I waited for her and Randy to leave the apartment first. Then I slipped back into her bedroom and placed the box full of envelopes on her bed and I left the card with a note from us on the outside so it would be there when she got home from dropping us at the airport.
Now when we talk, she tells me about a card she opened on that day. So even being 7,000 miles from each other, we can still feel connected.

Never underestimate the power of a few words of encouragement. Have a blessed day!
Sample of some of the cards

Card on outside of box - I wrote a note for her on the back of this card.


No comments:

Post a Comment