Wednesday, February 13, 2013

It's A Small World After All and Friends


How do you cope with living 7,000 miles away from home?  You surround yourself with lots of friends.  When Andrea decided to take this position overseas, she joined a networking group of people who were going to the UAE on Facebook.  And I will tell you “it’s a small world after all”.  I promise. 

Here are some of her friends:
  • She knew Mrs. Jones when she taught in Clayton County – in fact, it was only after Mrs. Jones secured her position in the UAE that Andrea really became interested in going.
  • At the interview with the Abu Dhabi Education Council, she met Shon who lived in the small town in South Georgia where Randy’s grandmother lived and was familiar with the small town where I grew up.
  • She met Nicole on Facebook – Nicole lived in the city where Andrea used to live and went to church with a very close friend of ours.
  • She met Christine during the flight over to the UAE.   Christine grew up in a small town in South Georgia near my hometown and Randy and I know some of her family.
  • She met Charlotte – Charlotte lives in a small town in central Alabama where Randy’s step-mother grew up.  Charlotte was surprised we even knew where that was.
  • As soon as she learned what school she was placed in, she connected with Nina and Evan.  Nina teaches at her school and Evan helped her set up her internet in her apartment.
Also, teachers are a special group and have a special connection.  They are there for each other and support each other.  When one is hurting or lonely or discouraged or sad or mad, someone is there for them to pick them up, to encourage, to motivate, to console, to laugh with.   

Shon, Andrea, Christine
Christine and Andrea
Andrea, Baby Ethan, Nicole
Charlotte and Andrea
As we all know, friendship is one of the most important things in our lives.  Someone once said, “Consider yourself truly blessed if you have 5 close friends.”  A close friend shares everything; someone you can call in the middle of the night; will cry when you cry; laugh when you laugh; hurt when you hurt – that’s what a friend is.  I have those friends – I hope you do too!

 Friend Quotes:
  • Don’t walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don’t walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend.
  • I’m glad friendship doesn’t come with price tags.  For if it does, I’d never afford someone as great as you.
  • A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.
  • Friends are kept by keeping in touch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment